Thursday 23 August 2012

POP Exhibition: Fashion and Textiles Museum

London constantly draws me in, from the music scene and museums to the vintage thrifting and gloriously high standard of people watching. So I was really looking forward to going down south for a couple of days (especially after Bulgaria - part 2 coming soon!).

Website: click here.

I went to visit my lovely Becky who has made the big move down to LDN and I am very very jealous of her fabulous flat. But the next day I covered all four corners of the city with my friend Dom and he very lovingly, planned it around me and my love of clothes. So, first stop was the London Museum of Fashion and Textiles and the current exhibition, POP.

The exhibition focuses on the influence of music, art and personality on the development of fashion from the rock'n'rolling 1950s to the birth of punk in the 1970s. The space itself is gorgeous, well lit and beautifully arranged. For myself, it was the the colours that really drew me in, the bold primarys in the 1950s to the striking Quant monochrome and the neon of psychedelia. I'm not going to go off on one, but I am going to show you lots of pretty photos.


This Martini skirt from 1956 is a fabulous early example of commercial advertising in fashion. 


The famous Pierre Cardin potato sack dress worn by Marilyn in the 50s spurred a line of imitations and fun interpretations, including this one here. I am desperate to find one. To me it says that absolutely anything can be fashion.

Next in line we see Quant and her massive impact on the fashion of the following decade. Showcased below are the famous monochrome stripes, below that a gorgeous purple Mad Men style dress/tunic suit.



My favourite discovery has to be the paper dressd. I've heard of the 60s paper dress before but had never actually seen one, but me oh my these things are a thing of beauty. They were designed by Harry Gordon in 1967 (L-R) Rose, Audrey Hepburn's eye and hand with Ginsburg poem. The aim for Gordon was to make a new paper dress every week featuring a new pop star starting with Bob Dylan. However, Dylan refused and that is where the line finished, before it had ever really begun. 


Surely colour makes a comeback as we turn away from monochrome. The highlight has to be these cartoon shorts. Fabric by Zandra Rhodes, design by Sylvia Ayton in 1967.



Oh and this absolutely amazing 1969 Sportaville maxi. Note the inflatable cushions in the background - cartoon to the max.



Sticking with the early 70s, (1971 to be precise) take a look at these mens' platforms. Now, did I hear someone say Jeffrey Campbell? I love to see the impact of the past on modern design and the Jeffrey Campbell Litas are certainly no exception. The likeness between these designs are amazing, down to the wooden heel. Apparently Elton John owns a pair of these. 




Dom couldn't have chosen a better exhibition to take me to, so thanks for that sweetcheeks. I highly recommend popping (hohoho) to POP before it closes on 27th October. I've only shown you a small portion of the gorgeous fashion and art on display, so go see for yourselves.

x





No comments:

Post a Comment