Saturday 14 April 2012

Amsterdam



This week I went to Amsterdam with some very BADASS ladies and we had a whale of a time. Here is a little summary of my time away as well as some brief write ups on the flea markets and the vintage shops I visited. First things first, outfit post. 





Skirt: Topshop Maternity (!)
Jacket: Charity shop
Shoes: New Look
T-shirt: H&M
Sunglasses: ASOS
Bag: River Island

Waterlooplein flea market was very high on my list of things to visit, so I went renegade for a morning to rummage through piles and rails of clothing and accessories. Table tops of 5euro dresses, 7euro jumpers and shellsuits were fantastic for those with patience and other higher end vintage sellers had better stock for not much more money. Still a hell of a lot cheaper than England! There were ridiculous amounts of stuff I could have taken home with me, I just didn't have a big enough suitcase.




By this area, on your way back towards the Dam square, there are a few retro shops such as the one below. However, I felt these were overpriced and lacked diverse, good quality stock. There is one exception - Retro et Chic which sold beautiful Victoriana and antique clothing and accessories. I didn't manage to get a photo of this shop as I couldn't find it again! 



The Nine Streets is an area straddling the three main canals of Amsterdam behind the Palace. It is brimming with curious, trendy and quirky boutiques selling all sorts. Of course I was there for the vintage. Before I get there  - and the quality of these photos is awful but the sun was bright and I felt dead cheeky so did it in a rush! This opticians stocked new prescription glasses based on vintage frame designs. You had to ring the doorbell to enter and I just daren't! But really incredible specs, in fact the dutch do glasses very well indeed.




Here we reach my highlight of Amsterdam. The jewel in the Nine Streets crown. Laura Dols Vintage.


This shop doesn't stock vats of 80s naff polyester drivel OH NO. This shop has rails and rails of 40s, 50s and 60s frocks that are beautifully mended, cleaned and railed according to size and then colour. I was in there for ages! I could have taken photos of everything, but these two dresses stood out for me.


1950s dress
1940s dress - I was going to buy this as a birthday present to myself, but it was too big. Sob.


Vintage and repro linen too.



Love a good showgirl outfit!


My only other real "vintage" moment to share with you are my friend Kate's Victory Rolls. She has a short blonde bob so struggled to do much in the way of retro hair before, but I had a go and am quite pleased with how they came out! First attempt styling somebody else's hair and it came out OK I reckon!




Well I don't have much else to share with you I'm afraid! Apart from that we had an awesome time and I would recommend Amsterdam to EVERYBODY. There are so many "types" of holiday you can have there and I will definitely go again. This is a farewell photo of us all looking a bit drunk. xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment