Sunday 11 December 2011

The most fabulous sunday

Oh I have had a day worthy of blogging and sharing to the world. It all began with a lie in and a lazy X Factor slagging off session over breakfast. Then I walked down to the Union to meet my lovely Lucy Revis to go to Sharrowvale Market.


                                  Â

                            http://sharrowvale.co.uk/sharrow-vale-market/


Despite the most hideous weather, we looked around the stalls and bought various crafty goods for relatives and friends alike - though there will be no mention of those purchases on here! But they’ll make great pressies. 


The market lined both sides of the road, mainly various crafty stalls, locally produced food and Christmas decorations and foliage. Not only is this market a fantastic opportunity for local businesses to showcase they’re wares but also for the independent shops that make Sharrowvale road a quirk-cool hub. 



My favourite shop is a stunning little antique turned vintage clothes shop called The Front Parlour. They only open three days a week (Wednesday, Friday and Saturday) and are run by the incredibly friendly Jane and her mum Betty and has been for 33 and a half years. A success story if ever I heard one. Though I was naturally captivated by the clothing and accessories, the shop is home to a host of books and magazines, ornaments, trinkets, craft essentials and china. As well as a good selection of vintage menswear and I’m not talking Christmas jumpers and checked shirts, I’m talking hunting jackets, smoking jackets and crisp white shirts.


I purchased a stunning 1970s fur coat for a ridiculously cheap £35 and a 1930s handmade leather bag (albeit with a wonky handle) for £8.50. 


                              Â

I went back into the shop to take some photos for you, it really is a hidden gem in Sheffield and I urge everyone to make the effort to go down and have a look, everything is so well priced. I asked Jane why everything is so affordable and her reply was refreshing:


“If I get a good deal on something, why wouldn’t I want to pass on the same bargain? Our customers aren’t well off, if I’d have sold that coat for £65 you wouldn’t have bought it, but now you own something you’ve always wanted for a fair price.”


Photos…


                           Â

                      Â

                            Â

                            Â

                            Â

These 50s glasses are £25…I may have to return on Wednesday to buy these. And this shop is complete with antique till! It makes a very satisfying kerching. 


                            Â

After my chat with Jane and Betty I ventured back outside and landed in a coffee shop with Fiona and Revis and some dominoes. We’d collectively forgotten the rules so made it up, but we certainly enjoyed our coffee time even if we weren’t playing properly. 


Ooh! And I’ve just made some Christmas cash on eBay. Bosh.


I have my work night out tonight so I should probably go and faff. But I hope you go and visit Jane and Betty when you have a minute. (Or an hour)

No comments:

Post a Comment