Friday 16 December 2011

Antique Me Up, Baby.

It is my first day off from school for the holidays so my immediate thought is shopping. But not just the high street or meadowhall or even my favourite charity shops, oh no. Today is Antique Shops day.  My other thought today is that if I had a normal job, I’d be getting ready for my Christmas do…alas!



                                 Â

I start off with Sheffield Antiques which I’ve never actually been to before. Garden furniture lines the walkway to the entrance and the centre itself has a fair variety of units and cabinets. This is not the place to go for affordable vintage clothing, but it is the place to go for trinkets, railway collectables and vintage crockery and china. Despite the lack of said “affordable vintage clothing” there is some very very lovely yet overpriced clothing. I especially loved the accessories on one particular unit. Some absolutely gorgeous hats and furs. I bought something (to be gifted….and therefore not written down!) but I will say it’s beautiful. Here are some photos of things I particularly loved.


                              Â

                              Â

                               


                              Â

                Opposite the road lies the Antiques Emporium…


                              Â

The Antique Emporium is fairly new addition to the antique circuit having taken over a fireplace shop (thank goodness…although the fireplace shop took over an old antiques place…huh). The centre looks modern and sides more to the local crafts and furniture sides of things. Immediately to your left when you enter is a unit full of hand made and vintage costume jewelry which doesn’t quite tickle me and since I’m not quite ready to furnish my own home, the furniture doesn’t really do anything for me either. The lack of clutter leaves me a little disinterested, however I find a unit full of great bags and belts. And though I am being quite negative so far…I will post a few photos of the things that DID catch my eye!


                               Â

                               Â

                               Â

                               Â

                               Â

The Vault is a new antiques place on Abbeydale Road, it’s a new place so I wasn’t sure what to expect. It’s obviously a great place for local artists and crafts, but I’m not so sure antiques is the word to go for. As time goes by I’m sure it will get going and find the right crowd, having said that, I did find an awesome cardigan and two children’s books with colourful covers I may make into bags at some point. 


                              Â

                              Â

I’m intending to cover the other antique shops (Langtons’, Chapel etc) on Monday with Revis, so will report back. I really am never happier than when I’m surrounded by Pretty Used Things.


x

No comments:

Post a Comment